[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Collapse Imminent?

Collapse Imminent?

Discussion of anything unrelated to the Project.
Experienced Member

Location: Steubenville, Island Creek Twp. Jefferson County, Ohio, USA

Collapse Imminent?

Postby Shaun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 am

Half joking; half not joking at all.

Things are looking poorly for the world at the moment. I keep thinking that it looks like it's very orchestrated, but then I start to think that's a bit paranoid.

But then I wonder if we're just in the middle of a period of radical transformation. The far extremes have become pronounced worldwide in the last decade and that makes me nervous.

Like Hitler-Stalin nervous.
It's like a train wreck.
Wait, no... it is a train wreck.

Kicsit olyan mintha te lennél a stricim

:monocle:

Experienced Member

Re: Collapse Imminent?

Postby Kolja_LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for posting this. Yeah, what is going on? I mean, Vince is busy in Germany, but what about everyone else? Personally, I would have liked to add a bit to my pedia article over the last days, but where's the point if, as you say, collapse is imminent? I know that sounds lame, but it is difficult to do something productive if everyone else is basically inactive. Of course maybe that's how everyone else feels too, hence the current slump. In that case the only obvious solution is to get back down to development, and hope things will pick up.

EDIT:Oh, lol Shaun, I just realized you meant the RW! Yes, well, I agree collapse may be imminent there too. The question is how to react to that. I suggest getting the bottled water, canned food and guns ready and if necessary heading to Montana. :P Also, is quite interesting.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:04 pm

We've already begun to fight? When did we stop?

(I apologise for my inactivity, my German intensive course is, well, intensive...)
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Experienced Member

Postby Shaun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Oh, I was only referring to RW. But now that I re-read it I see that it is a bit cryptically written. LOL. :D
It's like a train wreck.

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:16 pm

"Personally, I would have liked to add a bit to my pedia article over the last days, but where's the point if, as you say, collapse is imminent?"

This sentance has aquired a bizarre double meaning then. :lol:

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I think the more appropriate question is probably "Will this system include a UN" :P

Anyway since strategists think that the EU is being converted into a German Empire I'm sure Germany has its place :lol:

Experienced Member

Postby Shaun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:15 pm

It's like a train wreck.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Geopolitically pivotal part of a geopolitically pivotal continent, I guess it makes sense.

Administrator

Postby Lois » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:50 am

Uhhhhhh...two points.

Collapse imminent in an OOG kinda way? I don't agree (though I will say that Shaun's initial post made me lurch a bit until I realized he meant IG). I think we're becoming more comfortable with a slower pace--not glacial, not detrimental, but slower--and I think that's good for all of us. I know I've been taking my own sweet time to do things, but I'm a hell of a lot more motivated now that I have been in the past 2-3 years. I have characters I'm interested in pursuing, and they're not perfect, and they're at odds with one another. I am thrilled with this. Especially since I know I've got fellow players whose agendas will, in some way or another, offer opportunities for my malcontents to gain advantages outside the borders of Siurskeyti. Yay!

Collapse imminent IG? I don't think so, either. Without post-colonial pressures, you get the multi-way tugs of war that have been happening, as many have noted, for centuries in Europe. I think it will be interesting to jump into a world like that, where balances of power are shifting. From my perspective, I think that Arden dodged a collapse-bullet when people ceased hostilities (more or less) after Reonir. It was a moment that made everyone rethink and re-evaluate their roles in relation to the rest of the world, and decide just how far they were willing to go to achieve goals, if those goals were still worth achieving anyway. I think the Long War was like opening a shaken bottle of soda very slowly, with little jagged fast spurts every so often, until the opener finally got impatient and opened the damn thing fully, resulting in Reonir.

To continue the tortured metaphor, we're still in the clean-up phase, and there's a new bottle building up pressure that we need to worry about. There always is.

Experienced Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:09 am

To clarify, I never intended this as a discussion of OWP. I think the slow pace was an established fact when we started this round.
It's like a train wreck.

Return to General Discussion