[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Introductions

Introductions

Discussion of anything unrelated to the Project.

Re: Introductions

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:21 am

Hello, Mariano, and welcome back - I don't think our paths crossed last time around (though I remember you dropping in briefly to pick up Dalmar again while I was fleshing out Thora).

#43 (Cantaire) is probably only lightly sketched in at the moment - Sebastien could probably speak more on that, since he did the sketching - so there may be some room for you to manoeuvre if you like the place; I think we'd more or less settled on *Portuguese in #45 if that's in your viewfinder as well. I remember you seemed to be making use of Cornish (?) in Dalmar previously; if you have a feel for the Celtic fringe, then the plots on the north coast of Messenia (#57, #59, #60, #61, #62) or perhaps even the #65 islands may suit them.

But kick your shoes off, settle in and take a look around; we'll look forward to seeing what you have!

Experienced Member

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Welcome back!
Shouting terrible blasphemies towards the Prophet and reciting heretical formulae.

Postby mariano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:29 am

Gracias Michael and Alex!
I was reading a lot and I'm interested in playing Nation 45. I have already an outline of what I want the country to be and a lot of ideas. Most of the general aspects of the history are done and I want to share them with you :)

This is a little pitch:
The Union of Ariza is a landlocked Cairan respublican country in Messenia. It is a federation of smaller states leaded by a Captain General and a hexacameral parliament. Ariza is a militaristic society with most of its population involved in some way directly or indirectly in the military. Main internal struggle is due the hierarchical nature of society and the conflicts among the military class, the old nobility, the gentry (low nobility), powerful guilds, the commoners, the local Argan and an old branch of mercenaries that made the little country famous in the past.

I’m very interested in develop a country that would be like a mix of small modern European monarchies, a bit of corporatism, some of feudal Japan with ideas from Switzerland and the mercenaries they provided to Europe in pre-modern times. The main problem I want to solve is summed in this exchange: “Is your country declaring war? No its a Private Free Company from my country that is declaring war”. Hahahaha. I'm hoping that my country could be of use for several different powers in their struggles.

How should I proceed?

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:16 pm

I don't think the process has changed appreciably since you were last in these parts - if you have a reasonably solid skeleton in place already, give it a thread in the Nation Creation section and we can give you feedback on it and suggest ways of anchoring it more firmly into the region surrounding it. I'll admit, though, that I'm a bit worried about the plausibility of "a militaristic society with most of its population involved in some way directly or indirectly in the military". Armies were never that big, most of the time, and while I guess it's possible that a band of Wild Geese-like mercenaries could capture the reins of a country (even one like #45 which is about the size of Switzerland), hanging onto it afterwards would be a bit of a bitch...

Mind you, the idea of a military with disproportionate influence has some possibilities (and I'm trying to explore them a bit in Yfirland. It's a long way off, but possibly the two forces could usefully compare notes :) ).

But yes, once you have something workable, let us see it and we'll help you beat out the dents...

Previous

Return to General Discussion