[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Proactive Administration: The new RP system

Proactive Administration: The new RP system

Development and discussions of the structure of the Project as a whole.
Administrator

Proactive Administration: The new RP system

Postby Vince » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Straight from the cheese refinery.

Administrator

Re: Proactive Administration: The new RP system

Postby Sébastien » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Simply going to chip in to say that I still, of course, support such developments.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 pm

I think I get what's going on here, and this rather puts me in mind of what used to happen in the board game Diplomacy - although a good deal more detailed. Given what's been done with the front end, am I right in thinking that the previous format of individual "country" boards will not now be used (since we have this news-by-type layout instead)? I had had the impression that purely domestic matters would stay there on a "public" basis (no need-to-know issues), while all the interordinate hall-of-mirrors deviousness will go in the "private" nation fora mentioned.

I have no great issues here, though, only a slight question mark about keeping up with the plot in absence of this newfangled Skype wotsit. (I still dislike mobile phones; I need to steel myself for Skype.) But - by choice - I'm not in charge of one of the Big Guns, so a certain sense of "WTF?" is entirely to be expected. Let 'er rip and I'll hang on tight at the back.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Whether there will still be public nation forums is an important issue, and I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on it. We discussed it briefly on Skype without coming to a consensus.

You're right, Michael, it's a bit unfair to have lots of stuff going on on Skype if some people don't have access like yourself. The main issue though, I suspect, is mainly that without access to Skype (as previously MSN) it's more difficult to develop collaboratively since people are more easily reached. I guess the easiest approach would be to publish some kind of "minutes" of the main discussions on the forums so that anyone who wasn't there can also see whatever was discussed and make some contributions of their own -- usually, though, development-centred discussions will have manifest results in Pedia pages and so on, so there shouldn't be a need for too much on that front (I think?). Of course I would strongly recommend joining the Skye group if you can (to make your life easier ;) ) but there's no compulsion.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm

No worries - let me look into it. I just have to come up with an answer when my wife asks me "who are all these strange people you're talking to?" Mundanes :roll:

Administrator

Postby Vince » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

After thinking about it a bit, I'm going to go ahead and say that for my part, I think I do support getting rid of the public nation forums. I have a couple of issues with them. Firstly, simple cosmetics -- they'd double the clutter on the forums without a lot of point. Secondly, I think having roleplay and story threads, including non-collaborative ones, in lots of different forums means people easily lose track and very often never come across some of them. This was certainly an issue that I had in previous versions, where I would often miss important developments or interesting stories because they had been tucked away in one of the nation forums. It would be preferable to have a single forum for non-collaborative arcs, and a single forum for collaborative ones -- this way people will quickly notice any new story arcs, and it becomes much easier to follow everything. Plus, it's much easier to actually follow arcs that may be distributed across several countries involving various different simultaneous RP threads.

On the other hand, I do recognise it's good at least for sentimental value to be able to have your own forum which you curate, as it were. Anyone have any thoughts?

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Administrator

Postby Vince » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm

I'll use this thread to make a note here that a date has provisionally been set for beginning IG on 1 February (just under a month from now). This should allow enough time to do the following:

- Lay down some preliminary development for Ascesia and Greater Lestria.
- Finish and tidy up maps.
- Incorporate Serania into the development that has gone on so far.

The opening of IG will be contingent on there being a worldwide setting for RP, so that there aren't any gaping holes in what we know about Arden and nothing has to get retroactively corrected to make way for new developments. Hope that's reasonably clear and straightforward.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm

A quick note for people who weren't aware: unsurprisingly we'll have to delay it somewhat since a fair amount of people have been weighed down considerably by other commitments (including myself) -- since discussions are going at a reasonable pace though I don't expect this to be too long a delay.

Administrator

Postby Lois » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am

I realise this is an enormous delay, but I'm happy for you to publish my response in all this, if you feel it will contribute.

Return to System Development