[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Pedia IG/OOG

Pedia IG/OOG

Technical help and information concerning the Pedia.
Administrator

Pedia IG/OOG

Postby Vince » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Before we can begin developing on the Pedia, we need to establish what exactly the Pedia is. If we accept the Pedia as an IG entity, then there are a variety of issues stemming from our scenario -- mainly that the information on the Pedia would be fundamentally unreliable. The solution would be to treat the Pedia, to some extent, as existing OOG.

A particular design, which I am in favour of, emerged from discussions on the MSN group, namely to make the Pedia IG, and have an OOG tab at the top of each page linking to a page with notes on distortions or omissions in the IG article. This would not be to have one IG and one OOG article for each thing, but rather the OOG page would exist as a (probably brief) commentary on or addendum to the IG article. Where things are unknown IG, the OOG page would of course be the main point of reference.

Expected question: Why should there be an IG article at all? The answer is that writing in-game is interesting and helps to reinforce the culture and the state of knowledge IG. It also falls within the tradition of having the Pedia be an in-game product.

Any comments or suggestions of course are welcome.
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Experienced Member

Location: Steubenville, Island Creek Twp. Jefferson County, Ohio, USA

Re: Pedia IG/OOG

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 pm

I like the idea of an oog tab for truths and explanation of IG. I like the idea of an IG fog of war, so to speak. It will also helpto keep us from overstepping with knowledge.
It's like a train wreck.
Wait, no... it is a train wreck.

Kicsit olyan mintha te lennél a stricim

:monocle:

Administrator

Postby Lois » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 pm

Honestly, I see no real duplication of work in doing an IG and OOG article for each entry. As Vince and Shaun say, the IG provides flavor, a feel of being in the world itself. The OOG can include clarifications, and for those of us who are into that sort of thing, can include the thought processes behind arriving at certain ideas.

Additionally, OOG pages can offer hooks or links for other players, particularly new ones, to consider and incorporate into new nation or story ideas.

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

I like this suggestion, but it doesn't really clarify what the pedia is. Is it a commercial product one could buy as a book or on cd? Is it free and written and updated by volunteers? In what country/countries did it originate? Suggestions welcome.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 pm

I think the idea of writting an IG article supplemented by OOG information is interesting, a can possibly help to alleviate the limitations of a fully IG or OOG setting. Now, the question of who writes this is indeed important. The "Ellish" writers would have some bias toward other countries, and should some non-neutral information be allowed there? Or should it be stricly NPOV? This latter might be eased if you agree with the idea that the pedia is an academics works. I don't think that is a tangential discussion.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:26 pm

As falls out from the discussion, it would clearly be impossible for it to even approach NPOV. However I am aiming to consider merely this abstract framework, not what exactly that point of view is at this stage (and I'd note that it depends strongly on development in west Ereana that hasn't happened yet).

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 am

I'm inclined to think the IG logic would be much the same as Wikipedia in real life - that is, that the articles should ideally approach scholarly rigour, but in practice are going to be coloured by the writer's knowledge (or, on occasion, the lack of same) on the subject, by any pre-existing biases (political, cultural or otherwise), and perhaps - in certain countries - the extent to which the writer feels secure in setting out potentially sensitive details without risking the knock at the door at 3:00 AM :shock: .

Using a separate tab for OOG matters sounds a logical addition to (for example) let me, Michael, pass on information which other players should know but which would not be in the public domain in Helminthasse, or known to the Helmin or other national who is writing, in "Ellish", from an IG perspective.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 pm

The script extension that allowed OOG tabs to be displayed of each page is incompatible with the upgraded version of the Pedia, so I've provisionally disabled it. I'll have a think about how to restore them, but I don't know if people are very attached to the OOG-IG scheme laid down here?

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Fri May 04, 2012 6:33 pm

I thought it was a good idea, though not 100% essential. As I envision my country as conspiracy-ridden, it may have served a useful explanatory function.

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Sat May 05, 2012 8:36 am

I have the same idea, it's not essential (ie if the effort is too important, don't bother), but they still might be useful.

Return to Pedia Development