[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Interest Registration Thread

Interest Registration Thread

Development of the project in general.

Re: Interest Registration Thread

Postby Ben » Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok, folks. I think this post has gone beyond the point of its purpose. I expressed my interest in 33 and asked for some general input. I got a lot of input and I will take that all into consideration. I think there have been some misunderstandings on my part and on your part. Perhaps the best thing for me to do is to simply start working on my concepts for 33 and present them to the community when I am finished. Then people can comment on that thread rather than taking up any more space in this one. Thanks for the comments!

Administrator

Postby Vince » Fri May 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Could you be more specific as to what you think was misunderstood? I and a few other people were saying that it'd be better for you to work within the existing religions framework rather than making your own religion as you requested -- if you want to answer in another thread that's fine.
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Postby Ben » Fri May 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Sure, Vince! Actually, I had been working on a response, earlier today, but to be honest, I felt that I was a bit too frustrated at the time to formulate an adequate response. I took a few hours to clear my head a bit before compiling these responses. Please take them as the constructive comments that I have intended. I also did not spell-check and I am a terrible speller, so please keep that in mind :)

@Alex: I crunched the numbers for Nations 1-71 (i.e. Messina and Joriscia, if I understand correctly). The total area of those countries works out to be 21,038,038 square km, if I did my math correctly. That would make it over twice the size of Europe. But I am just throwing out numbers. If the community thinks that is enough for the area involved, that's fine by me. I prefer to work by concensus. But Vince's comment about the meaning of "religion" later would likely change the interpretation of my comment quite a bit considering on how you interpret the word.

@Welshy: Why can't it have Hebrew or Aramaic words from the classical variants of those languages? Have you excluded all possibilities in which it can't? This game is a work of fiction. We can do whatever we want with it, as long as we agree on it. If there are factors that would make this impossible, please feel free to point this out. There is still a lot of information that is missing on the pedia and I am working with the information I have available. It is likely that I missed something, so if you can give me some specifics on why this won't work, I would greatly appreciate it. But in any case, I suggested using Yiddish as a conlang, not taking it in its entirety. I have not even suggested a timeline or history for the language, let alone a vocabulary of basic terms. I guess I don't understand why you think it couldn't work.

As for examples of what I am suggesting, putting a Germanic language in the Semitic or Slavic areas can still make logical sense based off of RW examples. Afrikaans is an example of a language being located in a linguistic area quite different from its native linguistic area. I may have to change Yiddish (or German with Semitic and Slavic elements, if you prefer to call it that) more or less than RW Yiddish depending on the timeline for the language, but I cannot think of a better language to represent what I have in mind.

@Vince: Granted, "religion" is a term open to interpretation. When I read "Siriash" on the religions map, I interpreted that to mean "Siriash", much like one might read "Christianity" or "Islam". If by "Siriash" you mean something more elemental to the faiths in those areas (such as coming from Palthachist ideals) then I have no problem with the wide distribution of those faith systems. I might suggest changing "Siriash" on the religion map to something else. If I'm not mistaken, Vaestism stems partly from Siriash. Wouldn't it ultimately be considered a "Palthachist" faith as well, at least in part?

I do not want my own religion. I am not trying to create something that is just my own. I am trying to make a more dynamic and varied faith system within the confines of Palthachism with the help of the community. I appologize if my comments have made people think otherwise.

And to answer your question, what many people consider interesting about Christianity is its diversity. Most of Christian history that has rocked the world comes from its interaction with other faiths and the division of its own body due to differing interpretations of Christian doctine. If you are open to Siriash or the Palthachist faiths being as diverse as Christianity, then I am more than happy to work within that paradigm.

@Shaun: I am not being territorial, Shaun. If someone wants to use anything I work on, they are more than happy to do so. And I like to think that the other players in this game will allow me to help them work on their projects as well. I suggested a national religion initially because it seemed that the other players were very resistant to my ideas and I did not want to impose anything upon them. I would rather work on developing something that everyone can work on together. I am not resistant to criticism. I am resistant to comments that are really not constructive.

@All: Perhaps the players that are already established could be a bit more welcoming of new players and help them establish their ideas, rather than just saying "no" to all of their ideas. This is a game. It should not, and never will be a big deal. I'm not going to take it personally if you guys don't like my ideas. But it's not a lot of fun for someone's ideas to be shot down because it might go against something that others have already decided. While a lot of you purport to want to colaborate, it often feels as if you are not willing to colaborate with new players.

But I will ask this of you of all of you. If I told you that as a new player you had to use a particular religion in order to play a primary or secondary country, would you be more inclined or less inclined to play in this game? Based off of some of the comments I have received in regards to my questions, that kind of feels like what I am being told. That may not be the case, but I could understand how a new player to this game might feel that way. I was under the impression that I was being told that if I wanted to play 33 or 34, I would have to use Siriash as my predominant religion. If that is the case, I really do not find that to be very colaborative. If we want new players to come to this game, we have to be willing to give and take.

And in reguards to "well-established canon" (Siriash in this case), it is only established because people that have no interest in playing a nation in the Siriash region established it. As far as I can tell from the forum, the maps, and the pedia, the only players that currently have a country in the Siriash region of Arden are Alex in 47 and Michael-on-Ryde in 68, which is marginally in the Siriash area. So for a new player that wants to play one of the remaining secondary countries (33, 34, 41) they will be forced to have Siriash as their predominant religion, simply because that was the religion established to be in that area by players who don't even have a country in that area? Frankly, I don't consider that very colaborative or fair.

Alright, I think I've said what I felt should be said. Feel free to continue discussing this if you like, though I hope that once I get something more concrete up about my country you will all contribute in that discussion. Feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to discuss off of the threads. I'm going to get to work and hopefully I will bring something good to the table that we can all work with and share.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Straight from the cheese refinery.

Experienced Member

Postby Welshy » Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Previous

Return to Development