[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Arlatur

Arlatur

Development of the project in general.
Administrator

Arlatur

Postby Lois » Tue May 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Sadly, I need to go to sleep, so I'm not awake enough, nor do I have the time, to fully outline what I'd like to develop in Arlatur. I do promise to do this tomorrow, or at least by Thursday night (my time). That said, there are some salient points I want to work with.

1. The main tenet of Arlatur, as MoR said in the Religions thread, is leave the world in a better state than you entered it.

2. I'd like to explore Arlatur being an older faith. Maybe it arose concurrently with Jakarism? MoR has already identified parallels in the main tenet listed above.

I've got more, but the sleep is preventing thoughts from emerging in understandable forms....

Administrator

Re: Arlatur

Postby Vince » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm

At the risk of becoming the perpetual negative voice in discussions about religion ( :lol: ), I do have immediately some questions to raise:

- What are you defining as a "main tenet"? This seems to have more to do with philosophy or (particularly) ethics, not religion as such.
- If we accept there is such a thing as a main tenet in a religion, then can the main tenet of a religion be as tautological as saying "it is good to be good" (or to quantify the statement more precisely "it is good for the sum total of your actions in life to be good")? I would argue that if there's a main ethical tenet, it's going to be a description of what "better" means, rather than a simple statement that better is good.

I would anyway always recommend starting with the history and historical nature of the religion and then moving onto the doctrines, which are a secondary consideration, since this actually makes it come to life as a religion existing in cultural space.
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Administrator

Postby Lois » Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Gimme a day for thinking. MoR and I are working on it...

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 am

I'd agree that, stated as baldly as that, "make the world a better place" can be stretched to cover a wide range of actions, even up to destruction on a Tacitean scale ("they made a desert and called it peace"). I can see the key issues as being "how do you define 'better'?" and "who makes the definition of 'better'?" In a thread on the old board I'd suggested a split between the Summoner's writings as core "doctrine" (I use the term with some caution) and the Thousand Precepts as expansion and commentary thereon, not unlike the division in Judaism between the Torah and the Talmud - which would probably point to some kind of self-regulatory mechanisms implemented by "Preceptual" scholars.

It's possible that the position of the "Arlaturi lands" in the far west kept them apart from the main drive of the nomadic push westward - even regardless of when that happens - which would allow it to develop in relative isolation if its origins are kept in the "old" timeframe of 1500 years before the present. Its interaction with (new) Siriash and Jakarism would remain to be determined dependent upon when those faiths are established as arising. (For my own part, the idea of Arlatur standing aside from both of those has some definite merit.)

As time allows me, I intend to sit down and set out some kind of timeframe; I anticipate the presence of Arlatur feeding very strongly into my own development plans at the moment and want to take care that it appears organically. More to follow...

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:07 am

After long gestation, I can present the current draft based on deliberations between Lois and myself on Arlatur in its new environment. Since I can't put it all here - since it runs to about 6000 words at the moment - I've set it up on Google Docs at the following address (just to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks...)

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:39 pm

I haven't read it in detail yet but it seems rather good.
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm

The original draft has now been expanded somewhat, especially in the history section, as I have tried to tie it into matters on the Helminthasse nation page, as well as in the area of effects on society. I'd like to do more at some point on Arlatur's relationships with and influence from/on other faiths, as well as on its significance in other countries (it's too Siur-centric at the moment), but I don't expect too many changes now otherwise.

The new link is as below - please note I have disabled the old one.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Oj ... ?hl=en_US#

Return to Development