[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Religion map

Religion map

Development of the project in general.
Administrator

Religion map

Postby Vince » Sat May 28, 2011 7:37 pm

(Click to enlarge)

Here is a draft of the religion map which I prepared after some discussions earlier today. The map doesn't include colonial impositions or concessions.

First off, some explanation of Ereana. I've deliberately made the colours of the religions similar, to show their fundamentally shared basis and heritage. With Jakarism and Siriash, there's a strong syncretization, hence the smooth gradient in west Ereana and the closer colours. Fatalism is more clearly distinct, but diffuses into the Jakarism/Siriash zone, hence the soft border between the two. In north-east Lestria (and south Ereana), I think there is a quite separate branch of Siriash at work which is less influenced by the syncretism with Jakarism. In the south-west, finally, we have Arlatur, which Lois intends to be a national, non-proselytizing religion - hence its clearly defined borders, and relatively small extent.

In Lestria, apart from the north-eastern area, we have Pyranism and a large expanse of "indigenous religions". I foresee there being something like a Hindu situation in the east Lestrian plains, with potentially relatively sophisticated religious syncretisms and a loose collection of cults. It's likely IG the scholars see this as being unsophisticated, and that perception is reflected in my decision to leave it grey - at the same time it's also true that none of the options available for major religions would fit there. In any case, we will need to go into a good level of detail on the indigenous Lestrian religions when development of that rolls around.

In Ascesia, aside from the small Pyranism overlap in the southeast, there is a very large expanse of what I've termed "Isealist cults". This represents what I hope to be a ground-up reworking of Isealism to encompass a very loose collection of different religious tendencies, all aimed at the ideal which forms the heart of Isealist philosophy. There was a suggestion of theocracies competing nominally over their interpretation of the ideal, and I quite like that image myself. The northern island is sparsely inhabited and would probably be subject to direct colonial imposition of religion, hence I have left it grey ("indigenous religions").
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Re: Religion map

Postby Miles » Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Would a western nation not be 'allowed' Fatalism?

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Sat May 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Experienced Member

Postby Steven » Sat May 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Excellent map Vince, quite impressive.
Esh 3.5-OWP 1 - Dar al-Suwayd
OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Postby Pepijn » Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I really like that map. Job well done! I also like the ideas about Isealism. It was always intended as a more loose, container-like, umbrella-type of religion. But with this loction, it could work much much better.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Made some minor tweaks, and updated Fatalism to Vaestism.

Return to Development