[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Why we call stuff what we call it

Why we call stuff what we call it

Development of the project in general.
Experienced Member

Location: Steubenville, Island Creek Twp. Jefferson County, Ohio, USA

Why we call stuff what we call it

Postby Shaun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 am

Given the tendency of RW English to rely heavily on Greek and Latin to derive terms for things (Medius and Messenic seem employed this way) , I'd like to suggest that the Nomads we're putting front and center in this Arden relied heavily on the Greek and Romance speakers in there enccounters in the west, and basically followed their lead in naming and terms. Some of this would certainly wash towards the east too.

REALLY, IMO, the Greek and Romance speakers are well positioned to act as intercessors for the nomads and to have rubbed off on them to spread this further. Their function as facilitators could then be recognized in posterity.

Just a thought.
It's like a train wreck.
Wait, no... it is a train wreck.

Kicsit olyan mintha te lennél a stricim

:monocle:

Administrator

Re: Why we call stuff what we call it

Postby Vince » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:57 am

I think this would be the idea, yeah. I've consciously relied upon that in calling my capital Axopol, which is a name with significant Greek influence (polis, and maybe axis too).
Straight from the cheese refinery.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:52 am

I can readily see that argument holding water for the *Latinate languages - certainly given the sketch of *Romance-speaking empires that Sebastien has presented elsewhere. I'm a little less sure about *Greek; the current map of language distribution places it in what looks like a fairly mountainous region in west-central Ereana, just west of the central plains. My initial thoughts in looking at the map was that nations #39 and #40, in the midst of that region, would be very closed off and inward-looking ("Appalachian mountain men" leapt to mind immediately).

Possibly they are there now purely because they were driven there in the aftermath of the nomadic advance, and they occupied a wider and more hospitable area in times past. I'll admit I'd not be averse to pitching into future development in that area, given my experiences with the old Thora, but it may be that some of the same criticisms made then - that *Greek is too peripheral in cultural terms to have had that depth of impact on the wider Arden - may still hold water. Recall, if you will, that we had a lengthy discussion there of the origins of the term "democracy" if it did not emerge from the Greek dimokratia; though we (OOG and in Ardenica entries) may use Greek-influenced vocabulary, IG terms and nomenclature may need some more logical justification.

Experienced Member

Postby Shaun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:00 pm

I think I see the language map a little more generously, I suppose, noting that the area is not completely a mountain system, and that the Greek area can be found to border the southern lake of the central lakes, and also goes with the plain to the south ALMOST to the sea, split from it by a wee bit of a branch of German and Slavic.

As this is a modern map, I'd take the chance, and posit that the Slavic and German path cutting it off is a modern (last 1000 years) happening.
It's like a train wreck.

Experienced Member

Postby Welshy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Alternatively the Romance speakers could have largely displaced a native Greek-speaking population, thus accounting for the vast number of Greek loans in Latin (and thence to other languages).

Experienced Member

Postby Shaun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:05 pm

It's like a train wreck.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:26 am

Perhaps the earliest of Sebastien's *Romance-speaking empires was, at least in part, a "Helleno-Romance empire, with the *Hellenes being driven southward later? That seems far enough back to allow a sizeable *Greek substrate in what is otherwise a *Latinate environment.

Return to Development