[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - History

History

Collaborative development of aspects of world, continental and regional history.
Administrator

Re: History

Postby Vince » Sat May 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Straight from the cheese refinery.

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 pm

I'd sooner it wasn't that virulent; even the ravages of the RL Mongol Hordes petered out in central Europe without getting to the Atlantic. At the moment we're looking at the first wave happening over about maybe 200 years - time enough for internal disputes within the raider "empires" to bring about diffusion of focus and blunt their cutting edge. If the drive westward faltered and died, say, somewhere in the middle of present-day #52, that could provide an additional reason for the limited footprint of Arlatur besides its unwillingness to proselytise.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sat May 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 am

I yield the point - I'd forgotten about the planned course of diffusion of culture, hence the edit (and I had been envisioning a kind of Charles Martel figure at some point). Thus not dissimilar in principle to the "Ascesian Enos Empire" of the old paradigm, which stood up logically.

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 am

Also WE is relatively open on the steppe, Europe is more "broken" by mountains and such.

Experienced Member

Postby Steven » Sun May 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I figured that 58 would at least be conquered in part. It should be noted that the Mongol invasion of Europe halted (it didn't fail) for rather arbitrary reasons. If I remember my history correctly the Mongols were prepared to whip across Europe when the general died and so, following Mongol tradition, his army took him back to the Mongolian homeland. There's no reason that Mongols could not have swept to Paris and the Atlantic. Europe and China are about the same size, and there would be only fractured resistance.
Esh 3.5-OWP 1 - Dar al-Suwayd
OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Sun May 29, 2011 1:05 pm

That's right Steven. As I said, in my opinion the "Europe" here is South-east Ereana rather than the West -- but I suspect they'll be going all the way to the coast there too.

Postby Pepijn » Sun May 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Experienced Member

Postby Welshy » Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Not really. It's difficult to maintain such a big empire, yes - but that's because of difficulties of distance. It's hardly difficult to appoint a Mongol viceroy and have them send tribute back to your capital in faraway Mongolia, etc.

Postby Pepijn » Sun May 29, 2011 9:28 pm

So it's more a distance than settlement thing. OK!

Postby Michael-on-Ryde » Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Plus you would get a measure of settlement from things like all the old guys who are finding all the raping and pillaging a bit of a strain lately, what with prostate problems and that nasty case of sciatica that flares up in the cold weather. The only thing they don't like is you can't get decent mare's milk these days... :)

Postby Pepijn » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 am

:lol:

Experienced Member

Location: Steubenville, Island Creek Twp. Jefferson County, Ohio, USA

Postby Shaun » Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Is there something or things specific that forces the nomad imperialists to loose their grip in the west?
It's like a train wreck.
Wait, no... it is a train wreck.

Kicsit olyan mintha te lennél a stricim

:monocle:

Administrator

Postby Lois » Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I think it's gradual assimilation. Because nomadic tribes don't have sedentary-style cultural mores and civilization, they run out of steam when it comes to actually governing a distant location. Couple that with continued (though maybe intermittent) resistance from local peoples, and unless the nomadic culture settles down and learns how to implement governance, they have to withdraw, leaving the assimilated behind.

I don't think there's a triggering event like in the RW Mongolian invasion, where a bunch of them suddenly went back to deliver the body of their dead leader to the homeland. I could be wrong, though.

Experienced Member

Postby Steven » Tue May 31, 2011 3:32 am

OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Administrator

Postby Vince » Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 am

I think to a large extent what's done is a facilitation of cultural transfer rather than an imposition of culture.

Administrator

Postby Lois » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 am

To summarize, because for some reason I'm obsessed with bullet points today:

*Western Ereana is inteded to function similarly to the Rome of Arden
*Invasions happen successively from around 900 CE to 1300 CE
*Nomads, at some point, control nearly the whole of the continent, definitively including most, if not all, contemporary GPs
*Series of mega-empires eventually fail in the face of repeated succession to power, fracturing and melding into local cultures (at least in the west), where steppe and western culture have already strongly affected one another
*The remnants of strong nomadic culture sweeps east, carrying its adoptions and interpretations of western culture along with it

I posit these things so I can get a handle on how these nomads would affect Siur cultures. I'm thinking that the Siur are to Jakarist/Sirian societies what the Etruscans were to Greece and Rome. Not in specifics, but in generic influence and possibly relative timing.

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Experienced Member

Postby Steven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm

It was pointed out to me today that the nomads are Nordic-like group of people. Which I suppose makes them visually like the horsemen of Rohan :) , or Vikings on horseback. Just wanted to highlight that in case I wasn't alone in my image of dark-haired horsemen.
OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Previous

Return to History