[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4599: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4600: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Otherworld Project • View topic - Image Editing Software

Image Editing Software

Discussion of anything unrelated to the Project.
Experienced Member

Image Editing Software

Postby Steven » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello everyone, I was sitting down to work on some Otherworld stuff and I realized I no longer have any photo or image editing software! Someone in the community recommended some free software to me, but I must have lost it in my switch over in computers. Can anyone recommend a solid image editing program, preferably free?
Esh 3.5-OWP 1 - Dar al-Suwayd
OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Experienced Member

Re: Image Editing Software

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 am

Here are the three programs I use:

is easy to use and makes for a pretty good image editor, although these days I pretty much only use it for map editing.

is essentially a free alternative to Photoshop and offers a similar assortment of features, however this makes it a little daunting to comfortably use if you're relatively inexperienced. I tend to use this for flags, logos, symbols, and other general graphics.

is a vector editing program that's great for flags, heraldry, and map editing, but I find it to be the most difficult of the three to use.
Shouting terrible blasphemies towards the Prophet and reciting heretical formulae.

Administrator

Postby Sébastien » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 am

I second Alex's post. I'm a great fan of Paint.NET which has been useful for most of my purposes. Both GIMP and Inkscape have a steep learning curve, which is unfortunate when you need to make something more complex, or vector graphics (typically CoA). Since most of my editing is related to maps, I don't need much of the other two anyway.

Experienced Member

Postby Kolja_LS » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

For years I used Photoshop 3. It's ancient, so it doesn't feel wrong that I didn't pay for it (a friend gave it to me). It's sort of easy to use and intuitive, the downside is that you can only undo one step if you screw up. Now I use Photoshop Elements, also for free because a friend of my mum's gives courses in it, and has loads of official copies that she doesn't need :) .

Experienced Member

Postby Steven » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 am

Thank you gentlemen :)
Esh 3.5-OWP 1 - Dar al-Suwayd
OWP 1 - L'Arcsurattun
OWP 1.1 - TBD

Player since March 2008.

Return to General Discussion